Sunday, July 29, 2007

Burrata and Heirloom Tomatoes

a
It is easy tempt a promiscuous palate.

I was seduced by the Daily Impulse Buy placed at the Whole Foods checkout line: burrata cheese. I had never heard of this luscious fancy, and my curiosity got the better of my wallet.

Burrata is a specialty mozzarella, a pouch of fresh cheese that has been gratuitously filled with cream. Be still my heart. Literally.

With ripe heirloom tomatoes, garden basil, and a drizzle of fresh-pressed olive oil, my curiosity was sated. This cheese was delicious, although twice the cost of the mozzarella di bufala I prefer. But here's to novelty!

2 comments:

Kit said...

wow. the vertical camera angle makes the dish look like artwork hung up on a wall. tasty!

I got heirloom tomatoes last week from whole foods. Mixed them with some chives, lemon zest, lemon juice, honey and salt to make a salsa. And then used it to dress some pan-fried fish...mmmm

I love summer foods...

Monica said...

speaking of fried fish, i had fried sand dabs at delfina this weekend. words cannot describe my extreme sensory delight...